Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Minus 10 Negative Body Images

I have moles. Everywhere. I hate them. I also hate how my breasts are too small, how my one ear sticks out too far, how there are scars on my legs. I hate the cellulite on my thighs, the knobbiness of my knees and the hair on my toe knuckles I got behind in waxing so now I'm forced to shave. Yes, I said toe knuckles. (I know I'm not the only woman in the universe who has this particular problem. I used to date a guy whose family lived in Michigan and we went to visit and I spied his aunt proudly displaying her hairy toes through a really cute pair of sandals. I was momentarily freaked out and then comforted.)

The description I just gave does not paint me in a good light; and yet, I'm not ugly.

I've got long, healthy hair.
Dark, expressive eyes.
A glimpse of my collar bone in a formal gown would send any man to his knees.
My teeth are straight without ever needing the assistance of orthodontists.
My back is smooth, sexy and strong.
My arms are toned and well defined.
My calf muscles are reminiscent of a ballerina.
I have dainty wrists that make me feel feminine and petite.

We choose the image of our body we want to focus on. Positive or negative, it's up to us.

This weeks challenge is to minus ten negative body images and replace them with ten positive ones. Write them down. Hang them on the mirror you use each morning. And read them. Remind yourself how beautiful you truly are.

2 comments: