Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Minus 10 Unintroduced Friends

If you're like most people you have several Circles of Friends. There are the co-workers you attend Happy Hour with, sarcastically toasting your company with each round of drinks. There are the school friends - both the high school group and the college group. There are the friends you exercise with. The friends from church. And the friends who share your same hobbies. (In my world I call them Theatre Friends, and they are some of the best people I have ever met in my life!)

And, if you're like most people, the Circles never seem to co-mingle. They kind of stand alone while you hop in and out, from one circle to the next.

So safe, isn't it? Every person in each group knows each other. Knows their quirks and personalities. Knows what to expect. Safe. Yes.

Why not shake things up a bit? Life is too short not to meet as many people as you can! This challenge will help with that...

This week's challenge is to Minus 10 Unintroduced Friends. Simply put, you will invite ten people who don't know each other to an event that you're going to host. Invite ten people from your different circles to a dinner party. Or a potluck. Or to soup and wine night. Ask half the people to bring a bottle of wine, the other half to bring a pot of soup. What about a cookout? Beer and Bags and Barbeque!

I was invited to a get together once where the only person I knew was the hostess. I was uncomfortable for the first glass of wine. I was convinced everyone knew each other. As I sat and listened I heard introduction after introduction. These ladies had never met! That realization made me feel instantly at ease. I had a terrific time that evening and gained some really wonderful friends. I will always be forever grateful to the hostess who didn't care to keep her Circles separate.

What event will you host? Send me a message to let me know how it turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment