Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Minus 10 Randomly Spent Dollars

I learned early on (okay, high school) that if I asked someone for a dollar, they expected me to pay them back. However, if I asked for a quarter, it was quickly forgotten. (This was back in the day when a dollar actually bought something at the school canteen. I know, I'm dating myself.) Like any self-absorbed (and hungry) teen, I regularly made my rounds asking to borrow a quarter. Within a few short minutes I would have a couple dollars and was sauntering my way down the halls to purcahse a Milky Way candy bar and an ice cold grape soda.

It was a simple lesson: A whole lot of little adds up to a whole lot.

Right now I happen to have 481 "friends" on Facebook. Imagine if each one of them gave me a dollar. I'd easily have $481. Imagine if instead of buying a crate of candy bars I donated it to cancer research. Or to a family whose home caught on fire. Or to a mother who has to drive 45 minutes one way just to visit her baby in the NICU so she could buy gas. I'd feel pretty good about being able to give that.

What if a lot of people gave a little bit? And it added up to 'making a difference'?

So this week's challenge is to Minus 10 Randomly Spent Dollars -- dollars you might usually spend on coffee or soda, or on a pack of beef jerky from the gas station, or on a necklace that you only kind of, sort of like -- and donate those ten dollars to something bigger than yourself. Donate to the American Cancer Society or March of Dimes or anything else you feel could benefit from 'a difference'.

And then tell ten of your friends to do the same....

10 people, donating $10 each... see how it adds up so quick?

1 comment:

  1. That's the lesson when we read about Jesus feeding the 5,000 and the 4, 000. Maybe a few loaves of bread and a couple fish literally fed all those people, but isn't even more miraculous that every person shared the little they had and that so much was left over?! We have enough resources in this world for everyone to have enough. Those of us w/ more than we need have to be willing to share and to trust that we will NEVER go w/out if we love one another as God loves us!

    ReplyDelete